- Not protecting the ball
when you are dribbling the ball it is important that you keep it away from the defender with your second arm shielding the ball and the man. Protecting the ball is hugely important but this is skill is ignored by some new players. To understand how important ball protection is, consider that protecting the ball can be the difference between a critical turnover or a potential score.
- The double dribble
Everyone knows what a double dribble is, many young players make this mistake. Double dribble doe not help much in the game and can in fact be detrimental to your winning. This is not very common though and it is quite easy to correct.
- Not keeping the head up
Being a good dribbler is not enough. You also need to be able to see what is happening in front of you. Without that, all your dribbling skills are useless. Keep your head up during the dribble and practice it that way if you don’t already do that. This is one of the main requirements of being an expert level basketball player.
- Dribbling in just one spot
Players at almost every level make this mistake and it is one of the most common ones out there. Dribbling at just one spot is completely useless in the game of basketball. If you dribble too much, everything becomes stagnant as other players just stand around when there is no ball movement.
- Not properly catching the pass
This is one of the most frequent mistakes by six to nine-year-old players. Here is the thing, you need to have the control over the ball before dribbling it off. If you take off to dribble even before you properly catch the pass it is guaranteed that a player from opponent’s side will take the ball away from you. Turnover is one of the most annoying things that happen in the basketball game.
How to improve:
This was the list of most common ball handling mistakes that basketball players make. Do not worry if you are the one who has made one or more of these mistakes. When learning basketball, it is important to have a positive mindset. These are mere hurdles that you need to jump over because you can finally reach your goals. Below are some tips that will help you avoid these mistakes and help you improve the game.
- Identify your mistakes – the first step is to know which of these apply to you. Make a list of your weaknesses. This will help you know in which area you need to focus most of your energy and time on.
- Improve on one thing at a time – my second tip is to improve on one weakness at a time. Don’t try to be everything at once, take it slow and have confidence in yourself.
- Practice consistently – deliberate practice is key here. Practice as much as possible until it becomes your second nature. Don’t practice for the sake of practicing but practice with the intention of improvement.
If you follow all these tips then you will definitely be a successful basketball player. Keep playing!